- A single mother by choice (SMC) is a woman willing to take the initiative. Her child might have been conceived or adopted. What we all have in common is that we are willing to take on the responsibility of raising our children knowing that, at least at the outset, we will be parenting alone.
- Our goals are to offer support and information to single women who are considering motherhood and to single mothers by choice, to provide a peer group for our children, and to clarify the public’s understanding of single mothers by choice.
- SMC is not an advocacy group. It is not fair to urge a woman who may not have the emotional or financial resources, or who does not feel she would be able to handle single parenting, to get into an impractical or overextended situation. Single parenting is difficult enough for the woman who is sure and prepared.
- In the absence of a good partnership, and with the rate of divorce as high as it is, we feel that being raised by a caring and competent single parent is definitely a viable option.
- The word “choice” in our title has two implications: we have made a serious and thoughtful decision to take on the responsibility of raising a child by ourselves, and we have chosen not to bring a child into a relationship that is not a satisfactory one.